When can I start issuing tax receipts?

Q: I just applied for charity status from the CRA. Can I start issuing tax receipts?

Quick Answer: There is no quick answer...

Comprehensive Answer: The CRA has the discretion to backdate the date of charity registration to one of the following:

  • the date of the organization's incorporation (if the charity is organized as a corporation)
  • the date of the organization's application;
  • the first day of the charity's current fiscal period; or
  • The day of the charity’s last revision of its articles.

Your Charity Lawyer can put in a request for the charity registration to be backdated to the earliest of the above dates. But keep in mind, it is up to the CRA’s discretion.

Do you have questions about Canadian Charity Law? Email or call us at the link on your right.

Trevor @ Hop Creative

Hop Creative, 5662 Roberts Street, North End, NS, B3K, Canada

< Back to Charitly Law Q&A