Directing a Charitable donation


Q. I want to give a donation to my synagoue so that my son can participate in a program run by the synagogue abroad. Can I ask for a tax receipt from the synagogue? 

Short Answer: No. 

Explanation: Donors cannot direct their donations to a particular volunteer and receive a tax receipt. You can, however, stipulate that your donation should be directed to the general Charitable program, and still be elibible for a tax receipt. 

The synagogue or other Charitable organization must be the one who decides and documents why it decided which participants are eligible for the program without interference by the donors.  


< Back to Charitly Law Q&A