charitable registration

T3010 Filing Reminder


The CRA sent out the following email last week to tens of thousands of charities with filing deadlines of June 30th:

The deadline for filing your charity’s information return is fast approaching! It is due at the latest on June 30, 2018. If you have already sent your return, disregard this email.

The Income Tax Act requires that registered charities file a complete Form T3010, Registered Charity Information Return, and financial statements within six months of its fiscal period end. This requirement applies whether your charity was active or not during this fiscal year.


In the last two years, over 1,200 charities lost their registration status because they did not file their information return. If your charity’s return is not filed on time, its registration could also be revoked.

For more information about the information return and the filing obligations, go to

If your charity no longer wants to be registered, it must send a letter to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) asking to revoke its registration. For more information, visit our website.

Mail to:Charities Directorate
Canada Revenue Agency
Government of Canada
Ottawa ON K1A 0L5

Fax to:613-957-8925

< Back to Charitly Law Q&A

Not-for-Profits vs. Registered Charities - Part 2


Regulatory differences between Charities and Not-for-Profits

Despite the similarities of Not-for-Profits and Charities, there are some critical differences in how they are regulated.

1. In contrast to charities, Not-for-Profits must not issue tax receipts for income tax purposes for donations.

2. Not-for-Profit organizations are not required to be registered under the Income Tax Act to qualify as such.

3. Not-for-Profits may distribute their remaining assets among their members upon dissolution (unless explicitly prohibited from doing so by their Articles of Incorporation, constating documents or bylaws). Registered Charities however, must distribute all their remaining assets to other registered charities.

< Back to Charitly Law Q&A