Q. We are a charity that has been registered for several years... Half our board of directors are new (less than a year) and three have been here for several years. However, none of us have experience on a board, and have been following the lead of the founder / Executive Director. As a board, we feel it is prudent to have some sort of legal counsel to ensure all of our books, policies and procedures are in compliance.
How can you help us?
7 WAYS HOW WE CAN HELP DIRECTORS OF NOT-FOR-PROFITS AND CHARITIES:
1. Review your Minute Book.
2. Ensure that your corporation has all of its correct and complete letters patent and supplementary letters patent, including order microfiche from the Ontario government and arrange for it to be scanned or printed if there are documents missing or to ensure a complete record.
3. Ensure Membership structure meets organizational objectives and legislative requirements, including multiple membership Classes, Admission of new members, and Removal of Members.
4. Review your current by-law. Do you need amendments to your by-laws?
5. Ensure that the records that the Ontario government has in their database are up-to-date.
6. File form 1s, to update information about the corporation, including registered head office address, addresses and names of directors and officers, which is required to be filed within 10 days of change.
7. Work with the Not-for-Profit to create an appropriate governance framework, including the degree to which members make certain changes vs. directors, and the role of officers.
For an excellent overview by Corporations Canada of Directors Rights and Responsibilities, please click on the following link:
Do you need help with your Not-for-Profit or Charity? Please feel free to reach out to us by phone, 416.900.0379 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org